Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Things to Think


Things to Think

Think in ways you've never thought before.
If the phone rings, think of it as carrying a message
Larger than anything you've ever heard,
Vaster than a hundred lines of Yeats.


Think that someone may bring a bear to your door,
Maybe wounded and deranged; or think that a moose
Has risen out of the lake, and he's carrying on his antlers
A child of your own whom you've never seen.


When someone knocks on the door,
Think that he's about
To give you something large: tell you you're forgiven,
Or that it's not necessary to work all the time,
Or that it's been decided that if you lie down no one will die.


~ Robert Bly ~

(Morning Poems)
Spread the Love!

4 comments:

GalleryJuana said...

Great blog! I loved your story about your visit to the pig sanctuary.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

:)

Ashe. Ashe.

Tia Colleen said...

Ya know, I've really tried to get into poetry. I'm not sure what it is, maybe its how poetry makes me think harder than my already crammed cranium will allow, but I just can't seem to grasp it.

Some old bee-yatch said...

Or that it's been decided that if you lie down no one will die....

I needed that line today.

Thanks :)